One thing that God has really been showing me the past few weeks is to have a servant's heart. Serving others is so important. At DBU, if you received the Christian Leadership Scholarship (CLS), you must take the course for that scholarship, which I am currently taking. In this class, we learn about the importance of serving others. We have learned all of the positive outcomes that come with serving. Serving others not only brings joy to those around you, but it gives glory to God and can bring joy to your own life. From my personal experience, I am a much happier person when I am out serving others, rather than focusing on myself. Philippians 2:3-4 says, " Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others" (ESV). One technique that we were taught in the CLS class that really stood out to me was thinking of everyone as better than yourself. It is my goal to remind myself that every person I cross paths with or communicate with in some form or fashion is more important than me. When doing this, rather than thinking of how I can be satisfied, it will allow me to think about how the other person can be satisfied. I pray that I can shine Christ's light as I serve other people. I also pray that you too would be encouraged to serve someone else at least once this week.
Here is a list of things I would like to do to serve other people:
1. Smile! It's simple, but I know that when I see a smile on other people's face, it brightens my day. Therefore, I would like to bless others in that same way!
2. Write a thank you note for the custodians that clean my dorm bathroom
3. Pay for a random person's meal
4. Surprise someone on my hall with candy
5. Help someone that is stressed
6. Bring my coworkers breakfast
7. Write my friends notes of encouragement
8. Clean the room for my roommate
9. Invite and bring someone to church with me
10. Love others, even those that are hard to love