Thursday, July 12, 2012

Purple Cows with Pink Polka Dots

I've recently begun my college search. I have taken a few tours to different schools around Texas. My last college visit was to Hardin-Simmons University. When I was there, I was able to speak with a professor in the education program. She asked me "Haley, what are your interest?" I then said "Well... uh, I wanna teach special education, and... umm, I don't know?!" as I look at my mom hoping she will answer the question for me. I was horrified! How could I not know what my own interests are? On the ride home I told my mom, "I could not answer that simple question!" My mom then replied, "You need to learn to have more confidence and elaborate on what you have to say! They don't care what your interests are, they're just looking to see if you can carry on a conversation. People skills!" I then said, "But how can I elaborate if I don't even know what to say?" She answered, "Make stuff up! Say you collect purple cows with pink polka dots!" Boy, did that have us rolling! "Oh, I really LOVE the way they look" "I have such a strong interest in them," we joked around. My mom then explained, "Don't just tell them things you think will make you look good, such as being in National Honor Society. Tell them what you do in your free time, like crafts. They want to see that you don't just sit around on Facebook all day!" I then said, "Okay, but that's about all I do! I need a hobby!" "Start a blog," my mom said. So, here I am, starting a blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment